owncloud 4 has been release by ownCloud developers team, is a free and open source software alternative to some proprietary web services that you can install on your own computer or server, which includes file management with built-in file sharing ike Dropbox, music streaming, calendar, contacts and more. Major changes in ownCloud 4 include support for file versioning, allowing users to restore previous versions of a file or view a files history, and the addition of an integrated viewer for ODF file.
Here’s New Changes of ownCloud 4:
- Versioning : With this feature enabled, it is possible to restore an older version of a file. A core advantage here is that you can configure the versioninig feature, which you can’t do at third party cloud hosting and synchronization services.
- Encryption : You can now configure file encryption so that all files stored on the server are encrypted, and thus only accessible with the correct password.
- Drag and drop upload : The ownCloud web service now supports the dragging and dropping of local files to a directory on the server.
- ODF Viewer : Open Document Format files are now supported by the viewer, and can be read right in the web browser without the need for plugins or programs.
- Themes : If you do not like the look and feel of the ownCloud site, you can now theme and style it yourself, or install a theme created by others.
- Application Store : This makes it easier to install new applications, like the encryption or versioning application on the server.
- External Storage : This is an experimental feature that allows you to mount Google Drive and Dropbox storage as folders inside the ownCloud structure
- Syslog support : OwnCloud can now write to syslog log files, and of course the service’s own log files
- LDAP / Active Directory : Admins can manage users and groups from LDAP and AD.
- Migration : Options to migrate user accounts between different ownCloud instances, for instance between a primary and backup server.
- Tasks : A to do list that is synchronized automatically.
- Share Calendars : You can now share your own calendar with other users or groups
- File Notifications : Users can now be notified when files are shared with them.
- Galleries : Control over galleries have been improved, including sharing per email options and sort oders.
- You can found the owncloud version 4.0 feature overview @ownCloud4_Feature
in addition to releasing owncloud 4, ownCloud developer team also release also released the ownCloud Desktop Client in version 1.0.2. it also the version that is released on all big desktop platforms the first time and also offer a dmg for MacOSX as well as a Windows Installer and packages for the major Linux distributions
Follow tutorial How to Install ownCloud 4 in ubuntu server 12.04 LTS precise pangolin below
Guide Installation ownCloud 4 in Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS
Before installing ownCloud you can try ownCloud Demo at http://demo.owncloud.org/.
Step 1. To install owncloud 4 in ubuntu server 12.04 LTS, first install all owncloud package dependencies below
sudo apt-get install apache2 php5 php5-json php-xml php-mbstring php5-zip php5-gd php5-sqlite curl libcurl3 libcurl3-dev php5-curl php-pdo
or you can install LAMP Server so all owncloud package dependencies will be automatically installed on your server
Step 2. Download owncloud latest version, then extract and move or copy to webserver directory /var/www:
wget -O owncloud4.tar.bz2 http://owncloud.org/owncloud-download-4-0-0
tar -xvf owncloud*.tar.bz2
sudo mv owncloud /var/www/
Step 3. Set up the permissions directory /var/www/owncloud with the user and group of the owner of webserver
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/owncloud
Step 4. now restart apache webserver service and mysql server service
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart && /etc/init.d/mysql restart
Step 5. Now, Open your browser to configure and create admin user owncloud.